Monday, May 19, 2014

I Have Come to Worship

I step over the threshold into the coolness of a new day dawning. The stars are still shining and all around there is the quiet hush of anticipated. I lift my eyes to the expansive heavens and in the stillness I drink in both the beauty and the order that surrounds me. I have come to worship.

I let the truth of His words wash over me, that the one who spoke the world into being has lavished His love on me and invites me to be His child. I gaze at the stars and my spirit reflects on the contrast of the frailness of my soul and the God enthroned in the heavens who teaches me to call Him Father. These first moments of the morning contemplating my relationship with the Creator give me perspective for the day.

My eyes are open to the beauty around me. As I take my seat facing the Sunrise I am reminded of two passages in the Scripture about worship. The first is in the wilderness when Bezalel whose name means "in the shadow of God" is appointed build the tabernacle. God filled Bezalel with His Spirit, with wisdom, understanding, and ability in every kind of craft to design artistic works in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut gemstones for mounting, and to carve wood in every kind of artistic craft. The place where a holy God meets with His people is to be a place that is set apart, it is to be a place of beauty.

In the New Testament a woman of Samaria trys to engage Jesus in a debate about the correct place to worship. Jesus responded by saying, "But an hour is coming, and is now here,  when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship Him.  God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:23,24)

Lord Jesus, I like the woman at the well have received Your invitation to drink living water and I have come to worship You today in spirit and in truth.

1 comment: