Thursday, May 1, 2014

When Morning Comes

"Did she say Lamentations?" she whispered incredulously.  I admit it was an odd approach to the subject of joy. I had been asked to speak at a luncheon.  They told me that the theme for the year was joy. The first thought that came to me was, "In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider:God has made the one as well as the other. " (Ecclesiastes 7:14) The theme of my study became how God uses sorrow and adversity to enlarge the soul for joy.

I first looked at Lamentations and how the first two verses show the deep grief over the loss that sin and rebellion had brought. "She weeps bitterly in the night,  with tears on her cheeks; among her lovers she has none to comfort her; all her friends have dealt treacherously with her; they become her enemies. " (Lamentations 1:2) This place of lament is not pleasant nor is it somewhere I would ever choose to be yet without without it I would remain in my sin surrounded by my false lovers.

I think only tear washed eyes can truly see the beauty of what is spoken of in the third chapter of Lamentations.  "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, " says my soul,  "therefore I will hope in him." In the middle of lament comes the promise of a love that does not fail. How comforting to know that His faithfulness is great even when my doubt is strong. I can never use up His mercy. Because He is my portion I am secure.

The talk seemed to go alright except when I finished I became overwhelmed with depression! I kept thinking back to the truths I had spoken. In the darkness of my heart I began to evaluate what was going on. I sat with sorrow. I let it soften my heart and exposed my sin. I waited expectantly for the morning because I knew that though weeping abides for the night joy comes in the morning.

Lord Jesus, I rest in your unfailing love. The darkest night cannot prevent the dawn. You have redeemed my sorrow and used even it to enlarge my soul for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment