Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Saints in Light

She sat across from me in her specially made wheel chair. When we began to pray she began to weep. I could not understand her words but I could see the compassion of her heart as she poured out her prayer. Her mother, who was beside her, stood and embarrassed her. I saw in them the qualities of both compassion and kindness.

After our prayer time was over I went to Rachel to ask what she had been praying about. She told me that she had heard about children, who had been born with special needs like hers, that were abandoned. Her heart was touched in a special way because she understood what it was like to be helpless and dependent. Her compassion turned to kindness as she brought their needs before the throne of grace.

The children were not the only ones she wept for, she also felt compassion for the mothers who abandoned their babies. She spoke through a voice choked with tears about how great their grief must be to have a child they felt incapable of caring for. That night her mother had been leading a Bible study on the third chapter of Colossians. We had talked about what it means to put on compassion and kindness. I saw that night in both Rachel and her mother saints in light who illuminated for me the meaning of the words compassion and kindness.

Rachel began to weep again as we talked together but this time her tears were tears of gratitude. She told me how very grateful she was for the love and care that she had been given. I wrapped my arms around her aware that I had been given a special gift that night. God had allowed me to see the words I had read only moments before fleshed out in the lives of both Rachel and her mother.

Lord Jesus, thank you for Your saints in light that illuminate the truth of Your word.  Teach me by their example!

No comments:

Post a Comment