Monday, November 17, 2014

With Unveiled Faces

I brought a linen napkin for each one in class. I had each person cover their faces with the cloth. Looking through the cloth represented how our vision is shrouded by the worries and concerns and difficulties of life. I too covered my face. My vision was blocked and in a room filled with people I could feel the smothering, isolating effects of looking through a shroud. Next, I instructed everyone to slowly lift the veil as I read, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So how do we lift the veil from our eyes, how do we let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts, and exactly what are we to be thankful for? We have examples of those who have gone before us. "Women received their dead raised to life again. Some men were tortured, not accepting release, so that they might gain another resurrection, and others experienced mocking and scourging, as well as bonds and imprisonment." (Hebrews 11:35-36) What these men and women saw with their physical eyes would filled their hearts with dread but they were living with their spiritual eyes wide open. With the eyes of the spirit unveiled by faith they were able to be sure of what they hoped for and confident about what their physical eyes couldn't see.

When I allow my vision to become shrouded by my failures or the failures of those around me I become blinded to spiritual truth and my focus becomes myopic. However, I have found that when by faith I open my heart to a spirit of gratitude I begin to see more clearly. As I open my spiritual eyes with thanksgiving I become aware that I am part of a bigger story. Keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus I realize that He is not only the author of my faith but He is perfecter of it. The more I am aware of what He has done for me the more I am filled with gratitude. The more I am filled with gratitude the sharper my spiritual vision becomes.

When I turn to the Lord the veil is removed. It is the Lord who removes the veil from our faces in the same way that the bridegroom lifts the bride's veil. "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is Spirit." (2 Corinthians 3:18)

Lord Jesus, with a heart filled with gratitude I come to You. Please let me by faith continue to lift my unveiled eyes to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment