Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Are You Going Insane?

"So he changed his behavior before them and pretended to be insane in their hands and made marks on the doors of the gate and let his spittle run down his beard." (1 Samuel 21:13) David was under terrible pressure he was running for his life. I know that there are things I've done when I've been under pressure that I would not want to be recorded. What I find interesting is that not only do we have a record of when David, "let the spittle run down his beard," but he wrote a Psalm that referenced this time in his life.

"I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed." (Psalm 34:4,5) In the introduction David points to the time when Abimelech drove him out because he was acting insane. I appreciate stories like this in the Bible because although I would like to go through life always responding correctly to every situation the truth is I don't. David wasn't ashamed because God delivered him from shame.

If God had only used perfect people who only responded in perfect ways to the pressures of life I would have given up long ago! But instead I read David's invitation, "Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!" (Psalm 34:8) David's first response to the threats he encountered was to act like a madman but then he used his own failure to point to God's faithfulness.

When David was driven out for acting crazy he departed to a cave. "And everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was bitter in soul, gathered to him. And he became captain over them." (1 Samuel 22:2) These were the men he was captain over I also think these were the men he addressed in the Psalm he wrote during this time when he said, "My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!" (Psalm 34:2,3)

Lord Jesus, when I think about the people You surrounded Yourself with when You were here on earth I see those who were in distress, in debt and bitter in soul. Thank You for showing me in Your word what it looks like to take refuge in You. Thank You that you accept me just the way I am. Please help me to magnify You and exalt Your name together with David.

No comments:

Post a Comment