Friday, June 28, 2013

Last Will and Testamet

In the Spring of 2006 my husband and I decided to have our will drawn up but we did't finish. Then it was the Spring of 2007, then 2008. then 2009, 2010,2011,2012. Yesterday we went to the lawyer and finished having our will made. It only took about a hour. Why, why was that so hard?

The lawyer is about the same age we are and as we talked he kept coming back to the fact that when the will would be implemented we would be gone and our stuff would still be here. He also kept reminding us that not only would the stuff still be here but we would not have a lot of "say" when our voice was silenced. We left the lawyer's office having accomplished our goal but in deep reflective quiet.

When someone wanted to follow Jesus he said, "Foxes have holes, the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no where to lay his head." Then, when Jesus was teaching about the Kingdom of Heaven he said, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is there your heart will be also."(Matthew 6:19-21) But what happens to your treasure when your heart stops?

My experience at the lawyer's office also reminded me of Psalm 84:4,5 "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their heart on pilgrimage to Zion. As they through the Valley of Baca (weeping) it will become a place of refreshing springs, where pools of blessing collect after the rains! They will continue to grow stronger, and each will appear before God in Jerusalem." (paraphrase) So what do I want to leave as a legacy for my loved ones? I want to leave behind a redeemed life, a life where the places of weeping were transformed to places of refreshment for those who follow me on this journey home.

1 comment:

  1. "I want to leave behind a redeemed life, a life where the places of weeping were transformed to places of refreshment for those who follow me on this journey home."

    My dear, dear Sarah. You are already a resounding success. Linda

    ReplyDelete