Monday, June 3, 2013

From Panic to Peace

 They lowered a metal cage over my head and told me not to move. I heard the technician say,"This will only take about forty-five minutes," as I slowly entered the MRI machine. At first my eyes were opened but I decided that was a very bad idea because I could only see the machine inches from my face and I felt a since of panic creeping over me. I closed my eyes and as machine began it's loud clanging I began to think about something else.

Though my body was encapsulated in the MRI machine my spirit rose I called to mind one of my favorite passages from Daniel. "As I looked, thrones were placed, and the Ancient of Days took his seat; his clothing was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his throne was fiery flames; its wheels were burning fire."(Daniel 7:9) With the eyes of my spirit wide open I saw it all I felt bathed in peace in the presents of the Ancient of Days.

Suddenly I heard a voice,"Have you fallen asleep in there?" My eyes flew open and once again I felt the claustrophobic feeling and panic rising up in me. The voice told me I had twenty more minutes until I'd be free. I closed my eyes again and forced my breathing to slow and joined Daniel again in his night visions, "and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like the son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him." And in my spirit I saw Him too the One to whom was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, and nations, and languages should serve him. I was bathed in peace as I observed with the prophet of old what is yet to be and yet already is.

Sometimes life can have a smothering, panic producing effect on me. It can be terrifying when I am shrouded by uncertainty like Isaiah was the year King Uzziah died. King Uzziah had been the king of Judah for fifty-two years and when he died it ripped a hole in the fabric of the known. But God gave Isaiah just what he needed, a glimpse of the eternal. "I saw the Lord sitting upon the throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple."(Isaiah 6:1)

The test was finally over and when the doctor read the results he gave me a good report. As I reflected back over my experience I thought how the spiritual and physical intersect whether I'm paying attention or not. I will go about my tasks today with a quiet awareness that the Ancient of Days is even now seated on His throne.

Oh Heavenly Father, let the voice of my spirit mingle with those who call out to one another before Your throne, "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"

No comments:

Post a Comment