Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Perfecting Storm

Storms happen.

The storm struck. The ship was caught and could not face the wind, there was no choice but to give way to it and be driven along by it. Since they were so violently storm-tossed they jettisoned the cargo. On the third day of the storm the ships tackle was thrown overboard, after all what good is tackle if you're fighting for your life? When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest lay on them, all hope of their being saved was at last abandoned. This is a description of a storm at sea that Paul encountered in the book of Acts.

Storms happen.

Storms in life show me my true vulnerability. Yet, in the book of James I am told, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trails of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness, and let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing."

Storms happen.

The storms I encounter in life test what I really believe about the power of God. It was during a storm that Jesus' disciples began to understand that Jesus was Lord of the wind and the waves. The storms invite me into a more intimate relationship with God. Job's response to God after the storm in his life was, "I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you."(Job 42:5)

Storms happen.

Often with the storm comes a deep feeling of confusion. The book of James not only tells me to consider these storms joy but also invites me to ask God for wisdom in the midst of my confusion. I am invited to ask for wisdom yet there is the stipulation that I must ask in faith and not doubting because the one who doubts is looking at the waves of the storm and not the Lord of the storm.

Lord Jesus, when the storm clouds gather, when the winds blow me in direction that I did not choose, when the sky becomes dark and I can no longer see to navigate and I feel nothing stable beneath my feet remind me to count it joy not panic. Help me remember that You are the Lord of the storm inviting me to know You in a more intimate way. Help me to pray for wisdom with my eyes on You and not on the waves so that I can know the thrill of walking with You on the water in the midst of the storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment