Monday, September 28, 2015

When the Hidden is Revealed

It was in the twilight of post surgery that my daughter told me what the surgical team had explained to my family while I was in recovery. One out of seventy acoustic neuromas present themselves primarily on the facial nerve; when this happens the surgical team, in order to keep from severing that nerve, will leave a microscopic portion of the tumor. The predawn MRI confirmed that I still have a portion of the tumor that could grow to replace the one removed.

I have to confess, I cried last night when I saw the stranger staring at me with that paralyzed face in the mirror. My eye refuses to close, so I used tape to keep it closed, but my eye was so stubborn that it was peering back at me at an odd slant through the gauze. I tried to encourage myself by smiling at my odd refection, but only half my face smiled back. In the middle of the night that is not comforting!

I slowly and painfully climbed back into bed and the tears began to flow freely, at least from one of my eyes. Before my surgery I had asked Jesus to give me a gift. I asked Him to give me the gift of worship. I had no idea what a glorious wonderful thing I had asked for or how it would transform water, even salt water, into joy.

My spirit began to sing a hymn of praise and I asked that again my Lord would visit me and allow my soul to magnify Him. He heard me and my spirit rejoiced in God my Savior. Bathed in holy light, I knew that my Jesus had regarded the lowliness of His handmaid.

Outer beauty fades but there is a hidden beauty I have asked for. I have asked for an gentle and quiet spirit. Before surgery, as they clamped the mask over my nose and mouth, I felt terror welling up but called out to my Savior and asked Him to take my hand and lead me where trust knows no boundary. I found not only trust, but the with the gift of worship, I also received peace and joy.

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Sarah. Continuing to pray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing. Even if your face doesn't cooperate with your smile, we can see it in your eyes, and your spirit of grace and kindness tell us that you have been with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete