Sunday, September 20, 2015

Where Worship Leads

It began when I was a very young child. I became aware that there was more than my physical eyes could see. I watched as my parents and grandparents worshiped. Surrounded by music, surrounded by song I began to recognize that I was in the presence of One who was clothed in majesty and splendor. I listened as the words of His holy book were read to me and in my spirit I saw Him. The One who wraps Himself in light as if it were a robe, spreading out the sky like a canopy, laying the beams of His palace on the waters above, making the clouds His chariot, walking on the wings of the wind, and making the winds His messengers, flames of fire His servants. (Psalm 104)  This was the One who invited me to come and worship.

I saw my grandfather kiss the book that spoke about the love of God. Although he had never learned to read he taught me reverence for the Word of God. My father invited me to kneel beside him as he prayed and on my knees I was transported beyond the temporal world into an eternal world. In my memory I can still hear the passion in my grandmother's voice as she read to me about a God who inhabits the praises of His people.

Through worship I learned about the grandeur of God but I also learned about the love of God. I learned that the Word had become flesh and had taken up residence among those whom He had created. I saw that the Ancient of Days had sent His only begotten Son to be the gentle healer offering eternal life to those who would believe. He, Himself became the sacrifice to take away the sins of the world.

To learn to fear God is also to learn there is nothing else you need to fear. In worship I have learned to hear the voice of the One who created me, the One who formed me in my mother's womb. "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you: I have called you by your name; you are Mine. I will be with you when you pass through the waters." (Isaiah 43:1,2) When Jesus walked on the water He invited Peter to join Him.

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters where You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, so that my faith will be made stronger, in the presence of my Savior." Hillsong This is the destination of worship.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment