Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Cry of Terror Became a Song of Praise

Time is often measured by moments, hours, days and weeks but I am finding that I must measure my nights by seasons. This can be a challenge because sometimes there is a pestilence that stalks in the darkness. I encountered it last night.

When I left the hospital after surgery my doctors cautioned me about several things. One of the main cautions had to do with preventing a rupture of the membrane that holds my Cerebrospinal fluids. This is a clear, colorless body fluid that helps to cushion or buffer the brain's cortex. Because of my surgery I was told for example not to blow my nose for two weeks because it could cause a rupture of the membranes that contain this fluid possibly causing an infection of the fluids resulting in Meningitis. 

I believe in a similar way our Heavenly Father designed our soul and our spirit to be bathed continually by the peace of Christ. The arrows I encountered in the nighttime was fear but I sought shelter of the Most High and I chose to abide in the shadow of the Almighty. The membrane was not ruptured by fear because when I cried out He delivered me from the fowlers snare. In His presence my scream of terror was transformed into a song of praise.

The night was long but my soul and spirit had found its resting place in the love of my Savior. I spent the rest of the night in worship. I sang love songs to my Lord. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid." (Psalm 27:1)

I have learned in life that while weeping may abide in the night joy will always come in the morning. Just look to the East the Sun will always rise. Because of the tender mercy of our God, we have been visited by the sunrise from on high and He, Himself has given light to those who once sat in darkness and in the shadow of death. Jesus guides our feet into a way of peace where the dark pestilence cannot follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment