Friday, February 22, 2013

A Martyr's Misunderstanding.

She grit her teeth and hissed, "I do my work to the glory of God!" She saw herself as someone who was obeying Christ. She had chosen to obey the words of Jesus when He said, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23) But I wonder did she really understand what Jesus was saying and were the people around her who had to endure her sighs and anger really seeing the glory of God?

So what does it look like to follow Jesus to be one who chooses to do their work to the glory of God? When I think of doing my work to the glory of God I am reminded of 2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ."

When I don't put Jesus' words in the context of the gospel I can end up with a martyr's complex, seeking my own glory with a cold and bitter spirit. What exactly am I supposed to deny myself? What am I putting to death? "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." (Galatians 5:24) "Now the works of the flesh are evident; sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies,and things like these." (Galatians 5:19)

But there is more to following Jesus than just putting to death the things of the flesh, other religions do that too. If I am a true follower of Jesus then I am also walking in the Spirit. The works of the flesh are evident but then again so is the fruit of the Spirit, "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22,23) It is only when I am both crucifying the flesh and walking in the Spirit that my life is being lived to the glory of God and his light is shining in my heart.

Lord Jesus, I want to follow You but I am aware I have often deceived myself with a martyr's complex complete with enmity, fits of anger and strife. Please help me be humble and honest and deny my flesh so that I can walk in Your Spirit. The fruit of the Spirit looks far more inviting than the works of my flesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment