Sunday, February 17, 2013

Not By Tightning the Reigns but Relinquishing them

When I was younger every year would begin with a New Year's Resolution. Each resolution involved a way I had chosen to put self-control into practice and have as a byproduct a newer better version of myself. This morning I read something by Selwyn Hughes that pointed to others who use this technique for bettering themselves. "Confucianism taught that self-control would help produce the "superior" man. Hinduism thinks self-control will produce the "realized" man. Stoicism thought self-control produced the "detached" man. Modern cults believe self-control produces the "happy" man."

What I have learned is that the life I am seeking is not found in holding the reigns a little tighter but in relinquishing them altogether. "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."(Romans 12:1,2)

My self-control resolution always left me feeling that instead of being able to control my bad habits I was enslaved to them. My attempts to be set free only emphasized their power over me. But this is contrary to what I see taught in Scripture. "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."(Galatians 5:16)

Not being conformed to this world, walking by the Spirit, this is what I really want. I am amazed at how Confucianism, Hinduism, Stoicism, and modern cults offer something that looks like what I'm seeking in their use of self-control. In the end I must ask myself am I seeking self-control or and I seeking communion with Jesus Christ, seeking self-control places me in bondage seeking Jesus sets me free.

Lord Jesus, today I seek communion with You. Thank You that the fruit of communion with Your Spirit is love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and oh yes, self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment