Saturday, February 16, 2013

With the Eyes Of Childlike Faith

He spoke with great authority about creation, the universe and the heavens. I greatly respected the man who was speaking but there was something missing in his explanation, there was no place for God. I wanted to say something but I didn't. I had remained silent because I was intimidated by his intellect.

When I woke up this morning I was reminded of something Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."(Matthew 18:3) In Wesley's Notes it says,"The first step toward entering into the kingdom of grace, is to become as little children: lowly in heart, knowing yourself ignorant and helpless and hanging wholly on your Father who is in heaven, for supply of all your wants." I realize that the only way I can explain what I believe is to explain it through the eyes of my childlike faith.

Through the eyes of my childlike faith I believe that, "Faith is the the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible."(Hebrews 11:1-3) Because my faith is in God this is what I understand.

Through the eyes of my childlike faith I read that Jesus spoke to the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm. Jesus asked them "Where is your faith?" I look at this story with childlike wonder and believe that, "He (Jesus) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. for by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." (Colossians 1: 16,17) It is in Jesus, the image of the invisible God, that I put my faith.

Through the eyes of my childlike faith I believe, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."(Genesis 1:1) But there is more to my childlike faith, I believe that one day heaven and earth will pass away. I believe John when he said,"I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying not pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." (Revelation 21:1-4)

Lord Jesus, I see You with the eyes of my childlike faith and I hear you say, "Surely I am coming soon." (Revelation 22:20) How else can I respond but, "Amen, Come, Lord Jesus!"

No comments:

Post a Comment