Saturday, February 2, 2013

When the Attic Overflows

As I stood at the doorway of the attic that was filled with memories I was confronted by dolls that had at one time greeted my daughters on Christmas morning,and a top hat that my son had worn to the prom. It would be impossible to walk in or even into this room because it was crammed full of things from the past.

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1) My attic reminds me of all the different seasons of my life. I think I have kept mementos of each stage of my children's life, perhaps to many mementos. Sometimes I have held onto to things that belonged to a season that has pasted because I'm not willing to accept that time has pasted. I find myself lost in memories holding empty baby clothes that at one time belonged to my grown children.

"He has made everything beautiful in its own time," (Ecclesiastes 3:11) In order for me to appreciate the beauty of the season I'm in I must let go of what is past. The seasons and times are very distinct. " A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh..." (Ecclesiastes 3)

I realize to live life fully I must embrace the season I am in. In order for me to do this I must humble myself and trust the one who is the potentate of time. I must rest in the order that God has established. I find myself wanting things to remain the same wanting the comfort of the familiar but standing here at the doorway to the attic I am reminded that, "There is a time to keep, and a time to cast away."

Father, I know that the only way for me to truly see the beauty of life is to see it with the perspective of eternity. Help me to see my relationship to time as I humble myself and acknowledge my relationship to You.

1 comment:

  1. ACK!! Casting away? Really? Must we? Are you sure? Can't we hang on just a little longer?

    ReplyDelete