Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rocking To Nowhere

I found this quote today, "Anxiety is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere." I think I know that rocking chair. I also think that if you sit in it that there are invisible straps that bind you to that chair. You begin to rock faster and faster and faster till your mind becomes a blur of anxious confusion. But I also know how to be set free.

Anxiety is a feeling of being nervous or uneasy about something that you don't have control over. It's kind of strange that something you don't have control over can have so much power over you. Freedom is only found by not surrendering to anxiety but by surrendering to the only One who is in control. "In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears." (Psalms 18:6)

When I was a little girl and I would be awaken by a nightmare my mother would have me tell her my dream. As I began to put into words my tangled thoughts they lost their grip on me. I find the same thing to be true when in obedience to God's word I choose not to be anxious but instead to come to my Heavenly Father in prayer. I first let myself look up and see Him seated on the throne and then I hear Him inviting me, as His child, to bring my worries and concern to Him.

When I choose to believe that God has power over the things I have no power over and I put my confidence and expectation in Him that is hope in action. However, when I choose to open my heart and give thanks to Him before I actually see the answer that's faith. This combination of hope and faith dispels the confusion of anxiety and frees me to experience in stead the peace of God.

Lord Jesus by faith I come to You with a grateful heart. I thank you for the peace of God that surpasses all understanding and that guards my heart and my mind in You.


No comments:

Post a Comment