Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Some Things You Have to Ask For

There are some things you have to ask for but when you receive it it changes everything. "He said, 'Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.' Then Elisha prayed and said, 'O LORD, please open the eyes that he may see.' So the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha."(2 Kings 6:16,17) Elisha asked that his servant's spiritual eyes be opened because all he could see was that they were surrounded by horses and chariots and a great army of the enemy but when he saw the whole picture fear was gone!

When Jesus began His ministry He took the scroll of the prophet Isaiah unrolled it and found the place where is was written, "'The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.'" (Luke 4:18,19) Those who believed in Jesus and asked received sight and liberty from oppression.

There are some things you have to ask for but when you receive it it changes everything. He was just a beggar on the side of the road but he heard the commotion and asked what was going on. "'Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.' And he cried out, 'Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!'" Those who were in front of him rebuked him and told him to be quite but he just kept crying for mercy. Jesus stopped and had the blind beggar brought to Him and then He asked this blind man a question. "What do you want me to do for you?" He responded, "Lord, I want to see!" Jesus gave him his sight and told him it was his faith that had made him well. He had had the faith to ask.

Sometimes I feel like Elisha's servant and I feel paralyzed by the horses and the chariots and the great army of the enemy. Sometimes I feel like a beggar on the side of the road, I know something is going on but I'm not a part of it, all I can do is cry out for mercy. But then it happens and I hear the question, "What do you want me to do for you?" In response to my prayer for sight my spiritual eyes are opened I am no longer held captive by fear but instead I am able to view my world with a quiet confidence.

Lord Jesus, You taught me in Your word that faith requires action. It's not enough to simply want spiritual vision I have to have enough faith to ask for it. Thank You for opening my eyes and setting me at liberty from the fear that blinds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment