Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Hummingbirds Are Back!

Suddenly I saw him hovering before me. The small body of the hummingbird displaying an array of vibrant colors. I couldn't help but smile because this bold little bird had come to me with the unmistakable message that it was time for me to hang his feeder out on the porch. So once again the time has come to receive the joy that comes from observing the colorful, combative, and energetic jewel of the air.

To fully enjoy the gift that this tiny bird brings to my life I must pause. I pause, I look until I can really see the bright radiant color that is in front of me whether I take the time to enjoy it or not. One of the interesting facts about hummingbirds is that they can flash their bright colors as well as hide them. It is only when I receive this gift with a grateful heart that I can truly see it.

My life is filled with bright flashing colors but I often don't see them. I get so preoccupied with the business of life that I become blinded to the little jewels that are strewn across my path. My grandchildren come running into the house and I am more aware of the dirt on their feet than the smile on their faces. Then they take me by the hand and draw me towards the window and I see reflected in their eyes the miracles around me and I stop long enough to open my heart with gratitude to receive this free gift of beauty.

My grandchildren stare at the bright iridescent coloring of the hummingbird's wing I look too and am reminded of the spectrum of colors I see when the sunlight shines through a prism. Hummingbirds are the tiniest birds in the world yet they are gifts that God uses to invite me to enjoy the gift of His creation.

Lord, You have filled my life with Your gifts inviting me to receive from you so many things are simply gifts of Your love. Help me to receive them with a heart that overflows with gratitude. In the receiving of Your gifts may my heart shine forth with the bright radiant joy of a hummingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment