Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Drawn from the Mundane to the Eternal

From the time I was a little girl I was taught to worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness. I remember as a child there was a holy hush in the place that was set apart to worship. I would sit in the silence, sometimes the only light was the flickering glow of candles, the sound of the music stirred my soul, the smell of incense would awaken my senses. As a little girl I was in awe that I had been invited to commune with God.  

When I would spend the night with my grandmother she would invite me to curl up beside her in bed while she read the Bible. I could tell by the reverence of her voice that this book was different from the other books she read to me. Although I often didn't fully understand what was being read I felt as if I had been transported into the throne room of Heaven. Snuggled close to my grandmother and invited to join her in worship the eyes of my spirit were opened to another realm beyond the mundane.

I grew up on a mountain and I always felt a thrill when the storms would come. When I would see the flash of the lighting and hear the rolling thunder something stirred inside me. I felt as if I were being drawn by the voice of God to a time of worship and wonder. Later I discovered that in scripture the power of God's voice is compared to thunder and that, "The voice of the LORD flashes forth flames of fire."(Psalm 29:7)

I am no longer a child but I am still drawn to the glory of God by the beauty around me. I learned as a child to let the things I see and hear and smell draw me to an understanding of the Holiness of God. As I worship this Holy God I recognize His transcendent power and I am filled with a sense of reverential awe. With the eyes of my spirit I see Him enthroned as king forever.

Oh Lord, when my eyes are lifted up I am drawn from the mundane to the eternal. In Your holy presence I find strength for my day. Overwhelmed by Your glory I am blessed by Your peace.



               

No comments:

Post a Comment