Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Kindness of Forgiveness

At a baby shower for my first child I was given "The ABC's of Bible Memory" for children. My little one had barely learned to form words with her tongue when I began to work through the book. "A, All have sinned." I didn't really think my toddler could grasp the concept but I thought I'd go ahead and plant the seed. The next verse was easier to work with, "B, Be ye kind." As time went on I would teach her the rest of the verse.

Many years latter after my children had grown up I was talking to an acquaintance who began our conversation by saying,"My husband and I were talking about the way you parented." Now, I just want to say that is never a good way to start a conversation. She then went on to say, "He noticed that you were far to strict with your children." What could I say, I just lowered my eyes and said, "He was probably right."  Later that same week I was talking to someone who commented, "You know I always thought you were far to lenient when it came to disciplining your children." Again, I simply shook my head and said, "You are probably right."

The truth was that I was both too strict on some things and too lenient on others, though it was my intention to be a good if not a perfect mother, I became the example of, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."(Romans 3:23) I shared with my children this status of being a sinner but I also shared something more with them. I shared with them the truth that we have a Savior who did for us what we could not do for ourselves no matter how hard we tried.

As my children grew in understanding I added to their memory verse. "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32) Even though I was in the position of mother my children couldn't help but notice I often "missed the mark." As we shared our lives together a deeper understanding grew of what it meant to be kind to one another grew. My children's hearts were tender towards me because they realized that I struggled with sin just as they did. They came to understand that to be kind is to extend to others the forgiveness that they themselves have received.

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your kind and tenderhearted response to me in my imperfect state. Thank You that though I sin and cannot reach up high enough to grab Your hand You reached down and took hold of mine. And thank You so much that this is a truth I can share with my children.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I was always too... something... but I tried to do the best I could. I tried too, to teach them about a loving God. All I can say if I tried my best. I'm sorry for the wrongs, but I still trust in God. I pray for the forgiveness you have found.

    ReplyDelete