Sunday, May 3, 2015

Can you believe this?!?!

Yesterday I had been invited to speak at a luncheon. I confess that although I enjoy getting to speak I always feel uncomfortable right before I go and wonder why on earth I ever thought it would have been a good idea to agree to do this! Yesterday was no exception yet I was grateful that I had the morning to get my thoughts organized and on paper.

When I got in the car to go I went back into the house to get the Garmin because I didn't want to just trust the GPS system on my phone. I knew where the town was that I was going to speak I just didn't know where in the town the church was. I waited until I'd reached Summerville to turn my GPS on that's when I discovered that my GPS listed five Calvary Baptist Churches but did not list the one in Summerville!

I decided to use my phone but much to my dismay I discovered that I had no signal! I kept driving until I could pick up a signal. When I finally did I tried calling my granddaughter, she was meeting me at the church and knew where it was. I cannot describe the relief I felt when I heard her say,"Hello." Neither, can I describe what I felt when I heard,"I can't hear you. Would you repeat that?' followed by,'never mind I'm just kidding. This is my answering machine, leave a message." It was about this time that I also realized that I didn't have my Bible with me where I had marked all the verses I was going to use or the carefully crafted outline I had written!!

I felt the panic rising within me ( this is an understatement), For a moment my mind was completely blank as I tried desperately to remember what in the world I had intended to say! Then I screamed a prayer that went something like this, "Help!" Help came when I remembered the lesson I was going to teach and that I was in the process of learning all over again.

The lesson I had planned to teach was this, because the Lord is my shepherd there is nothing I lack and the way he teaches us that we can trust him is by taking us into situations where we are not in control and showing us that he is. When it finally came back to me I almost had to pull my car over I was laughing so hard. God had taught this powerful lesson to me a couple of days ago when I heard that I needed brain surgery but he taught it to me again when I was lost on my way to speak at a church without Bible or notes. Both in big and small things I do have a shepherd and there is nothing I lack.

By the way, I found the church and I was able to teach the lesson I'd learned again in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment