Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The One Who Holds the Scepter

How do you protect yourself from being ruled by your emotions? Oxford dictionary defines emotion as, "a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationship with others." It is my observation that emotions can be a cruel master.

How do you navigate difficult times? Instead of letting my emotions control me I see in the Scriptures the admonition to be clear headed and sober. I think it can be natural to want to escape negative feelings and often the enemy of my soul is right there ready to assist. But the direction that he points me is a mind numbing place of defeat.

The salvation he offers, though on the outside can look inviting, is really a prison. But God directs me on a different path. He encourages me to put on the breastplate of faith and love. The Lord directs my heart into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ. I find that though I may stumble along the way my heart is safe in the love of God and no matter how dark the path may seem I never have to walk it alone.

The storms of life can flood my mind with insecurity. My enemy comes offering things that will numb my mind so that I don't have to think about the troubles before me. The lover of my soul offers the helmet of hope of salvation. Hope is an anchor that keeps me from being blown off course by the tempestuous winds. Confident and secure in the promises of the one who has said that he will never leave me or forsake me I take my stand and face the storm.

Oh enemy of my soul I will not run and hide in your false refuge! I will not bow before you in the storm or seek the deceptive comfort of your embrace. The King who holds the scepter holds my hand. His faithfulness and love protect my heart. I bathe my mind with who he is and his sure promises. I take a deep breath and releasing it slowly I pray,"Ah,Sovereign LORD,"

No comments:

Post a Comment