Monday, May 4, 2015

Silencing the Darkness

The shadowy voice of darkness woke me whispering threats to steal my peace. So I rose before the dawn and cried for help. As soon as I stepped onto the porch I was amazed at how the night sky was illuminated with the light of the full moon. I know that, "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pour out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge."(Psalm 19:1,2) So I took my seat and asked the Ancient of Days to open my heart so that I might receive the knowledge revealed. I silenced the darkness by meditating on the steadfast love of God.

As the full moon slowly sailed across the sky my soul waited for the LORD. I have learned where my help comes from. The night sky was lit by moonlight and my heart was at last free to be glad in my creator. He is my shield from the dark thoughts that sometimes haunt my mind. There are questions for which I have no answers but I have chosen to put my trust in the steadfast love of the LORD.

I feel very small when I see the grandeur of night illumined by the light of heavens. I hear the gentle voice of my Savior speak to my soul, "Sarah, let me carry that for you." And I respond with the words he has provided, "O LORD, my heart is not lifted up: my eyes are not raised too high: I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child is my soul within me." (Psalm 131:1,2) He gently takes the fear of the unknown and replaces it with the peace of his presence as I quietly listen to the message of his unfailing love.

I need no other light than the light of the heavens and listening to his voice I hear, "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes: the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever." (Psalm 19:7-9) Sitting in the moonlight my soul is revived, my simple mind is made wise with his words and at last my heart rejoices. My eyes are enlightened by truth that when the fear that woke me in the night was replaced by the fear of God my sorrows were washed away.

Now the dawn is breaking and a new day has begun. The heavens are being bathed by the light of the Day. The Sun is like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, ready to run his course with joy. My heart has now been set free to respond to the new challenges of the day with this truth, "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life: of whom shall I be afraid." (Psalm 27:1,2) The crippling fear that woke me in the night has been replaced by a heart filled with awe in the presence of my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment