Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Vision

I had arrived at the hospital at 5:30 that morning; all the preliminaries had been accomplished, they handed me a pen and showed me where to sign my name, stating I understood that the final result of what was being done could cause my death. With the pen I signed my name; with my spirit I relinquished control and silently sang, "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders!" I was then placed on a gurney and taken to the operating room.

The room was full of lights and people, and when I was transferred onto the operating table I felt so small and vulnerable. The anesthesiologist, speaking with the voice of authority, had those assisting him hold my head and shoulders firmly in place while a mask was pressed down, covering my nose and mouth. I felt sheer terror welling up within me, and the fear of being suffocated began to overwhelm me as my head was twisted downward, and I was instructed to inhale deeply.  I cried out in silent prayer, "Sweet Jesus, I surrender! Let Your Spirit lead me to a place where trust has no boundaries!" Then consciousness slipped away.

Suddenly, I saw a piercing light and felt excruciating, exquisite pain as if my skull had been crushed!  I was in recovery; the brain surgery was over. But this is where my story really begins, because this is when I had the vision.

The vision I saw was familiar to me, since I had read the story in the seventh chapter of John many times.  What made it different was that I was not reading it; I was experiencing it.  I was there in person, saw Jesus stand up, heard Him cry out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scriptures have said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" He was looking at me! Suddenly, I felt bursting from within me the Spirit of God bringing with Him comfort, a deep sense of being loved, and peace I have never before known.

Since that night in recovery, it is as if I have been on a raft of light, being both filled and at the same time bathed in the river of living water. I think it might take a lifetime to share the blessings that I have received, but I want to start by sharing this one small insight about being led by the Spirit to a place where trust has no boundaries. Trusting Jesus, believing in Him, means to be set free from the bondage of fear. Truly, it is an invitation to come to Jesus and find rest for your soul.  I'm so glad I accepted His invitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment