Wednesday, October 7, 2015

How is your cat?

When I was coming out of the haze in neuro ICU I heard a nurse say, "Honey, you won't be able to go see your mother until you can stop crying." I though they were talking to my daughter Elisabeth. Suddenly, nothing was more important to me than comforting my child.

Concern for my precious daughter Elisabeth filled my heart and mind with an overwhelming passion to bring her comfort. I was desperate to ease the pain in my little girl's heart. My world became completely focused on finding a way to comfort her and so I waited for her to come to me.

The rest of the family came in first. I felt that Elisabeth was in the hallway tying to compose herself. I wanted to share with my family the visions I had seen in recovery. I was stunned at the effort it took to simply find the words and the energy to express myself. I had seen a mystery and did my best to share to share it.

I had a different message for my weeping child. I didn't want to tell her something I wanted to give her something. Comfort. When she was finally able to come to me I drew on my the last ounce of my strength and but could only whisper before drifting into unconsciousness, "How is you heart?" I have no memory of her response because every thing went blank.

First consciousness after brain surgery is an interesting time. Since your brain has been traumatize and is also swollen things are not always what they seem, which I found out when I got home and the family told me what was really happening in the hallway. The voice I heard in the hallway wasn't that of a nurse it was Elisabeth's voice. She was talking to her big sister Faith and I'm sure didn't call her honey. My girls don't talk to each other like that. She was. however, trying to comfort Faith so that she could stop crying and come see me. The reason Elisabeth waited to come in last was because she felt Faith needed to see me first. No one had a clue about what the vision and profound mystery was that I had tried so desperately to share with them. And as for Elisabeth, she was the only one who was pondering the profound question I had asked her. For on that night when I was desperately seeking to give her comfort what she heard was, "How is your cat?" and she couldn't figure out why she had been singled out for such a weird question. But then the Bible says, "Laughter does good like a medicine."






No comments:

Post a Comment