Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hidden In Plain View

"Now children remember these decorations are to be hidden in plain view." These are not only a Christmas decoration but a game we play each year. I have twelve small reindeer and snowmen that the children are to hide but they are to hide them by making them part of the decorations. Whoever finds one of these reindeer or snowmen then has to find another hiding place where it will be in plain view. Right now I have a snowman riding the camel in my nativity scene and a reindeer hanging from my dining room chandelier.

"I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me." (Proverbs 8:17) I see this through out the Scriptures as an invitation to seek and an invitation to find. "If you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."(Proverbs 2:3-5)

There is something about the process of first discovering a longing and a thirst for something that helps me appreciate it's value.  What I see in these verses is that there is treasure that I am invited not just to seek but to find. God placed a yearning in my heart for Him and desire to find Him.

This imagery of seeking and finding is in the New Testament as well. When Jesus tells us what the Kingdom of Heaven is like He says, "The Kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field." (Matthew 13:44) "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls." (Matthew 13:45) In all these verses I see an invitation with a promise of finding the thing I am longing for.

Father, thank You for giving me this desire to seek for You. Thank You for not only giving the desire to seek but also the delight of finding both You and Your Kingdom.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us that He is always in plain sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete