Monday, November 12, 2012

It is a Mystery

It is a mystery and because it is a mystery I cannot fully understand or explain it. Yet, I am content to live with mystery, to believe in a God that is beyond my ability to completely explain. If I could fully understand the ways of God I would be His equal, I am not. One of the mysteries is this, He has allowed me to be a participant in His plans through prayer.

There are many places I see this in Scripture but the one I find most intriguing is in Daniel. Daniel was a man who was faithful in prayer. In the tenth chapter of Daniel he tells about a time he was fasting and mourning and seeking to understand the word God had revealed to him. In response to Daniel's prayer God sent an angel. This is what the angle said; "Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart understand and humble yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia, and came to make you understand what is to happen to your people in the latter days." (Daniel 10:12-14)

Is there a parallel picture in the New Testament? Yes. "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12) We are to enter into the this mystery the same way Daniel did, "Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication." (Ephesians 6:17-18)

But I have to ask myself am I really doing this? Am I really entering into what God is doing by praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication or am I simply existing in the moment? Jesus' admonition to His followers was to watch and pray. However, I am aware that I often simply watch the events around me unfold without entering into to the mystery of God by prayer.

Heavenly Father forgive me for the lack of faith that keeps me from prayer. You have given the command to not only watch what You are doing in my generation but to pray. Your word teaches that the prayer of a righteous person has great power. Please grant me the grace to enter into this mystery of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment