Saturday, November 3, 2012

He Can Come Riding on the Wind or Walking on the Water

Storms come in nature and in life though this is not an uncommon thing they often take us by surprise and hold us hostage by their power. Storms are often accompanied by darkness and strong winds that show me clearly that I am not the one in control. "By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waves grew rough. He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them."(Matthew 14:23-27) It was in the midst of this storm that Jesus came to them walking on the water.

Sometimes God uses the storms in my life to humble me but with the humbling comes a deeper since of awe and wonder at who He is and the beauty of His power. This takes away the sting of fear and enables me to come to him not in my own power but by the power of His invitation. "'Lord, if it's you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.' "Come," he said." The storms in my life allow me to see more clearly who this God is that I worship. They allow me to cast off my high view of myself and enter into to an awe filled since of worship.

One of my favorite hymns was written by a man who lived a very stormy life. His name was William Cowper. His life was filled with mental anguish, which included an eighteen month stay in an insane asylum and several attempted suicides. While he was in the asylum he began reading the Bible and as a result he humbled himself and accepted Jesus as his Savior. This was a man who knew what it was to struggle in the darkness sometimes becoming overwhelmed by the winds of deep depression. However,  just as Jesus chose Peter to walk on the water God chose William Cowper to give us the words of the hymn "God moves in a Mysterious Way."

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomalbe mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

And so Lord, I am aware of the darkness, I feel the wind and the rain but I also hear Your voice saying, "Come!" Because You are Lord of storm as well as Lord of my life I choose to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment