Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dealing With What Has Been Left Behind

This has to be the hardest job I've ever been given. I am going through the house Papa built and packing things up. Papa died the week after Ma Belle and now it's time to deal with things left behind. The family went through and made lists of things they would like and this is very helpful.

Each list is touching because the things that are being asked for don't have great monetary value but instead are reminders of the life that was shared with the ones who once owned them. My ten year old grandson's list, however, is the most touching of all. He wrote, "I want Papa's brown shoes because they were the ones he wore the most and he touched them all the time. I want one of Papa's hats because he wore it. I want Grandma's mirror because she looked in it and I remember helping her with her hair. I want the ceramic brown cow with the broken tail because I used to give Grandma Belle flowers to put in it. Finally, I want Grandma's humming bird on the gold wire that always sat on the dining room table because it's beautiful and it reminds me of her."

This job has caused me to think about the things I will leave behind because the truth is we take nothing with us not even our bodies. What will my children and grandchildren choose to remind them of me. As I am working my way through Ma Belle and Papa's home room by room I am finding in each nook and cranny evidence of a couple who loved the Lord and each other.

"Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."(Luke 9:58) So what did Jesus leave behind? "These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Sprint  whom the Father will send in my name  he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." (John 14:25-26) Jesus didn't leave things to remind us of Him, He sent His Spirit to dwell in us.

Lord Jesus, as I box up the things that have been left behind I pause to thank You that You gave me Your Holy Spirit to comfort, counsel and teach. I also thank You because You have also given me the promise of Resurrection so that I do not grieve like those who have no hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment