Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Microphone

She was walking through a crowed mall when she saw the microphone. Timidly she picked it up and began to sing the song that was in her soul. At first her voice was barely audible and the people rushing by took no notice of her but the longer she sang the stronger her voice became. Suddenly she was engulfed in the song and oblivious to the people rushing past her. She lifted her hand to her heart closed her eyes and for a brief moment those around her paused to listen. Then as timidly as she had picked the microphone up she put it down her moment was over and the whirl of humanity engulfed her.

This scene reminded me of another young woman who said, "When I was younger I always felt like there was something special about me but as I have grown older I realize there is nothing that sets me apart." I remember listening to her sing when she was a little girl. She had a beautiful voice and with her songs she would magnify the spender of God's holiness. But as she grew up her vision dimmed and her song changed.

These two young women remind me of something I read in the Psalms. "What are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them? Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor. (Psalm 8:4) However, I think until we worship the One who dwells in unapproachable light and is seeking to have communion with us we see ourselves as just one of the crowd.

My youngest daughter is engaged and I've noticed that something happens to a girl when she knows she's loved. When she looks into the eyes of the her fiancee she sees herself more clearly. When God invites me to lift my voice and face to Him in praise and I begin to recognize the one who loves me I cease to be a faceless person.

O Lord, I have discovered that it is only when I worship the spender of Your holiness that my eyes can clearly see.



No comments:

Post a Comment