Thursday, August 22, 2013

When the Path is Blocked

Yesterday I couldn't get the computer to connect to the internet. I couldn't find my wallet. I could find all the birth certificates but not the one I needed. All these circumstances pushed me into places I didn't want to go. Suddenly I had a picture in my mind of Balaam beating his donkey and I fully understood his frustration.

Balaam was on his way to take advantage of a lucrative opportunity but his donkey balked. Every time it happened he beat his donkey. I really can identify with Balaam because yesterday I wanted to respond to the obstacles in my way by beating something. Because I so completely identify with Balaam's frustration it makes me pause when I think about what the angel of the Lord said to him. "Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because you path is a reckless one before me."(Numbers 22:32) Is it possible that God puts obstacles in my path to block my way so I can go His way?

I believe that honest emotions are a tool God has given to me. The honest emotion I had yesterday was anger. It was not a pleasant feeling, to tell the truth it was extremely unpleasant. It was unpleasant because not being able to connect to the internet, not being able to find my wallet, not being able to find the birth certificate I needed underscored the truth that I am not in control! The honest emotion of anger that I experienced came because something or someone got in my way and messed up my plans.

I would have liked to hit something or at the very least to scream at someone or something and to be honest I may have done a little screaming. But at the same time I was wrestling with this unpleasant feeling because that very morning I had read,"A man's steps are determined by the LORD, so how can anyone understand his own way?"(Proverbs 20:24) So I told myself the truth that I am not in control and that when I find something or someone standing in the middle of the road I'm trying to take I need to either take a different path or wait and listen for further instruction from the only One who is in control.

Lord, my pride does not like it when I can't go where I want to go and do what I want when I want. Please help me to humble myself today and remember that if my way is blocked it might be You sending me in a different direction.






No comments:

Post a Comment