Tuesday, August 13, 2013

When Dark Shadows Flee

I could see it happening. I could hear sound of the door being locked. I could feel the panic rising within me. Then I awoke and the dark shadow of fear that had been shrouding my mind fled. At first my mind was hazy but consciousness reigned. I remembered that this was the night of the meteorite showers; this was the night of shooting stars.

I went out into the darkness spread my sleeping bag and lay down staring into the vastness of the heavens. I breathed in the night air and let the spender and the majesty of the great expanse engulf my spirit. Gazing up I heard, "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words; Their voice is not heard..." (Psalm 19:2) So as I lay there watching heaven's display; my spirit awake to hear the voice of God revealing knowledge.

"Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and beauty are in His sanctuary. Ascribe to the LORD you families of peoples, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength. Ascribe to the LORD the glory of His name; bring an offering and enter His courts. Worship the LORD in the splendor of His holiness; tremble before Him all the earth." (Psalms 96:6-9)

When the morning came traces of the dark shadow whispered into my ear. In dream like fashion I again saw the door locking. When I was younger and I would run crying to my mother in the night having been terrified by a nightmare. She would wisely have me tell her exactly what I had dreamed. In the unwinding of tangled thought the night mare would loose it's power over me. In the light of morning I realized my fear had come with the locking of the door. I didn't know if I was being locked in or locked out but it didn't matter. Being locked in or locked out had no power over me because I knew the one who held the key and in His presence dark shadows had to flee. I was set free.

No comments:

Post a Comment