Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Communion in the Night

"My soul yearns for you in the night; my spirit within me earnestly seeks you. "(Isaiah 26:9) Last night was one of those nights. I woke in the darkness and could feel it's presence. My mind was filled with heaviness so I asked the Lord to open the eyes of my spirit. In darkness of the night I surrendered my heart once again to the claims of Jesus and found peace.

I have lived long enough to understand that life is filled with paradox. The circumstances of my life draw me towards apprehension, anxiety and dread but I have chosen a different song to sing in night. I acknowledge my weakness but I choose to sing about a mighty God who holds me with His powerful hand.

When I woke my mind was feeding on frightful thoughts so I lifted my prayer to the Bread of Heaven and he satisfied my soul with the richness of his presence. I pictured Jesus at the Last Super giving thanks,  breaking the bread and telling His disciples,  "This is my body broken for you." The bread eaten at Passover is also called the bread of affliction.

As I looked at Jesus offering me this broken bread I heard in my spirit the words of Isaiah,"He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows;  yet we esteemed him smitten by God, and affected. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,  and with his stripes we are healed." And in the night I had communion with the lover of my soul.

In the night my spirt earnestly sought him for whom my soul longed for and I encountered the God of Hope.  He filled me with all joy and peace in believing. My soul was satisfied with the bread of Heaven. By the power of his Spirit apprehension, anxiety and dread were replaced with songs of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment