Friday, June 19, 2015

In the Garden or in the Wilderness

When I went to the neurosurgeon this week he explained the surgery he would preform and the possible complications. It was a little bit like having a doctor read the warnings that come with medications. I have almost four months to wait and I think if I let these thoughts ruminate in my mind it could drive me crazy. Yesterday a friend reminded me that when Eve was in Paradise God had told her that she could freely eat from all the trees but one. And that was the tree the serpent drew her attention to.

How shall I respond to this day? If I let my mind coast I find myself pulled to the negative but I have a choice because like Eve I am surrounded by the gifts of God's grace. I also have access to the throne room in Heaven and I can ask for help. This is my request, "Father, open my heart I want to be sensitive to your presence. Open my eyes so that I can see the beauty that surrounds me. Open my ears so that I can hear your Spirit speak to me today."

I read in Colossians that we are to "let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts,' and then it goes on to say, 'And be thankful." I think these two things go together. I want to let the peace of Christ rule in my heart this Summer and be thankful for the gifts of grace God has given me today instead of letting my mind be haunted by the ominous possibilities on the horizon.

Eve was in Paradise with an invitation to freely eat of any tree in the garden but she became obsessed with only what was forbidden because she didn't appreciate that grace she had been given but what if you're not in Paradise what if you're in a wilderness. God led the children of Israel into a wilderness. There was barrenness all around them but He Himself provided for their every need. Because their focus was on the wilderness they could not see how tenderly He cared for them. Deuteronomy shows how the LORD their God carried them, as a father carries his son, he carried them until they reached the Promised Land. They, however, were looking at the wilderness and they did not recognize God's grace towards them.

Lord, help me. I want to turn my face towards you and not away from you. In the the garden of my life I want to fill my mind with all the blessings you've given me and not focus on things I don't seem to have. In my wilderness places I want to come to you with a grateful heart for your imitate provisions and not rebel against your with mumurs and complainants. Help me Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment