Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"If"

The words just seem to be highlighted on the page when I read them this morning. “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 When I got up to go about the my day the words seemed to follow me asking me the question, “Have you humble yourself, are you bringing you concerns to God in prayer or trying to work things out on your own? Are you turning your face to God seeking Him or have you turned your face toward other things seeking comfort, approval, control and power elsewhere?”

The idea of humility is one I have been thinking of for sometime. I have seen in the Scriptures where, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 1 Peter 5:5 I don't want to be someone who God is in opposition with. I see humility coupled with prayer. “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6,7 So, when I am humble I don't try to work out everything on my own I really believe that God cares about me so I come to Him with all the cares that weigh down my spirit.

The next thing I see is God inviting me to seek His face. What does it mean to seek God's face? The illustration that comes to my mind is that of my nephew when he was nine months old. He was sitting across the room from his father. When his father smiled he smiled if his father frowned he cried. He was so bonded to his father and so intent on studying his fathers face that what he read there was the main influence on this young life. I want to know my Heavenly Father's face with that same passion.

The last directive I see in the, “If my people” passage is that they are to turn from their wicked ways. My friend and I were having a very honest discussion about this the other day. We were talking about the things in our life that we turn to other than God. Sometimes it's something that we turn to that brings us comfort and although we are willing to say it's a sin and we are wrong to do it we really don't want to give it up. Sometimes it's power or control we seek and even though we've made a public confession that it is wrong we still go back to it in an habitual way. In other words I find it very hard to give up the thought that I have the power to do whatever I want when I want and how I want. This is why I so desperately need to humble myself and pray and seek God's face.

Lord Jesus, I want to turn my face to you and not away from you. I cannot live the life I see you calling me to live in You word without Your help. I see the statement “If my people” and my heart's responses with, "Please grant me the grace to humble myself and pray, help me seek Your face and turn from my wicked ways." Oh yes, and thank You, because I've also read in Your word that "if" I ask anything according to Your word I would be given the thing I asked for.


No comments:

Post a Comment