Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Listening to the Song

The song came out all wrong. I must have scathed the record, the more I tried to fix it the worse it sounded. I kept gently lifting the needle and repositioning it but no matter how many times I tried the results were always the same. This was not music this was simply noise, irritating, teeth gritting noise!

I lay in bed drifting off to sleep my mind reviewing the events of the day. A record began to play in my head, “What is wrong with you? Do you always have to talk so much? How many times are you going to make the same mistakes? You are hopeless you are never going to get this right!” I turned on my right side, I turned on my left side the needle seemed to be stuck. The message was magnified by it's repetition. Finally I gave up, I couldn't fix this song it needed to be changed.

There seem to be some sins that I struggle with and no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to get it right. The more I focus on them the more I magnify them. Finally it dawns on me that I'm trying to be my own savior, again.

“The LORD you God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” Zephaniah 3:17 The songs of deliverance do not come from my trying harder, they come from the LORD who is in my midst. When I tune my ear in the night to hear his love songs of salvation my heart is at last quieted by his love. He puts a new song in my heart.

Lord Jesus, help me to stop trying to fix my broken record. Help me to stop focusing on myself and listen to the song You are singing over me. Let my life's song be the one You sing to to me unbroken filled with love and gladness.


No comments:

Post a Comment