Thursday, May 3, 2012

Please Turn The Light On

For the last three months, ever since my husband and I moved in to take care of his aging parents, I have had Philippians 2 on my mind. It is a chapter about following Christ's example of humility. “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” I always think in pictures and the picture is see of humility is this. I cut two pieces of pie. One piece is slightly bigger than the other. If I serve you the larger piece without calling attention to my sacrifice that is humility. “O Lord, You know that I would much rather pretend the pieces were cut identical so that I could have the larger piece! Please grant me Your Spirit so that I can count others more significant than myself.”

“Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” I have gotten up early and have been enjoy solitude when I hear footsteps approaching. I am confronted with a choice shall I choose to pretend I don't notice that someone else is awake and would like my company or do I continue to enjoy my solitude? “Dear Lord, help me to practice what You're teaching me! Help me not only to look to my own interests but to the interests of others.”

“Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant...” If I take on the form of a servant that means I will be willing to do the menial job without calling attention to myself. I will be looking for ways I can meet the needs of others instead of how they can serve me. “O Lord, I don't want to that! I'm tired I want someone to be meeting my needs. The contrast of what comes natural to me and what you ask of me is glaring.”

“Do all things without grumbling or questioning...” I’ve heard that “grumbling and questioning” come from an attitude of rebellion against what the Sovereign Lord has chosen for you to do. I am guilty. I don't want to grumble and complain and question the reasonableness of what He has for me to do but if I said, “I've never grumbled,” I'd be lying and my children would tell on me. “O Lord, let me focus more on You than the task set before me!”

I have read through this chapter repeatedly for three month and for three months I have found in my own strength I cannot do this. However in this second chapter of Philippians I read “It is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” “Dear Lord, please, please grant that I might be,'blameless and innocent, a child of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, please let me shine as a light in the world, holding fast to the word of life.' Amen.”

1 comment:

  1. Sarah - You are, and you are shining and holding fast! Love you bunches - praying for you and the family! Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete