Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Meditations Of A Sojourner

There were two things that woke me last night one was the grief of having lost two people I loved in a week and the other was the pinched nerve in my neck. Both the physical and emotion pain made sleep seem impossible. I came into the living room to sit, think and pray. At the heart of my prayer was this verse, “I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me!” Psalm 119:19

I realized that in many ways I want and even expect life to be easy. But that is not what Jesus taught when He invited me to be part of His Kingdom. In fact he never said that I would have peace in this world. He said, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

As I sat and prayed and meditated on the truths of scripture I was reminded of something my friend told me about the painting by Rembrandt called Christ in the Storm. The picture depicted what I felt. A small fishing boat caught in a life threatening storm. She told me to look at the picture and identify which figure represented me. I saw the disciples straining to keep the boat afloat. I saw some trying with fear filled faces trying to wake the sleeping Savior. Then there was the one who seemed to be simply sitting passively in the storm tossed boat. With my pinched nerve and grief stricken heart it was the picture as a whole I identified with.

Another verse came to mind as meditated on my truth that I am a sojourner on this earth and that I have been promised tribulation in this world and not peace. The words that came were the words of Jesus, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27

Lord Jesus, I confess I seek comfort in this world and am surprised that instead I find tribulation, just as You said I would. Thank You for the storms that teach me the truth that I belong to Your Kingdom and in You I will always find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment