Friday, June 8, 2012

Beneath the Protective Wing

A cacophony of sights and sounds, places and people flood my mind. "Tell us about Israel!" I try to speak, but find myself unable to sort out all the images that rush to present themselves. My family waits for me to speak. The stories I tell are about the people I have met; about  my friend who who gave me this amazing gift, a trip to Israel. "She's gone all the way to Israel and all she can tell us is about the people she's encountered!" My family smiles and shakes their head. Oh, but I have so much more I want to say, I just don't know how to sort it all out.

I awake is it 2 A.M. or 9 A.M.? It's jet lag, a confusion of time and place. I become fully awake and recognize my surroundings, I am back home on our farm in Georgia. It’s 2 A.M. In a sleepy fog, my mind is travelling back to Jerusalem. I am standing again on the temple mount, I hear the guide saying," This is where Jesus said,' Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who killed the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling'." (Matthew 23:37)

Now mixed with the images of Jerusalem I see in my mind my grandson Jack standing before me, wanting to share his sense of wonder. He gently spreads the wing of the hen and says with an awed filled voice, "Mimi, isn't this beautiful!"  He loving holds the bird, wanting to share with me the beauty he has found.

As I drift off once more to sleep, I find the softness of my pillow resembles the downy feathers of a mother hen; my comforter is it's protective wing. I hear an invitation in this early morning waking to rest, to sleep to know a deep comfort of a loving God.

Oh Lord Jesus, just as Jack longed to share the wonder and beauty he has found in Your creation so I long to share the wonders that I found in Israel. Help me unwind the stories in mind and may I also share with others the peace I find beneath Your protective wing.



No comments:

Post a Comment