Saturday, June 9, 2012

Chosen

I stood in Israel listening to the guide feeling the hot sun. I was physically there and while I listened I saw with the inner eye of my spirit two stories playing themselves out on the geography of the land. It reminded me somewhat of watching television when my father has the remote, you never end up watching just one program. The story I saw on the screen of my soul was of two men, two kings chosen by God.

First, I saw Saul hiding himself among the baggage when he was proclaimed king. When I first heard that story of Saul I thought to myself, "Now, that is a picture of humility!" But was it, was it really humility that made Saul hide or was it pride at the core of his being. The scene in my mind changes to a youth who has also been anointed to be king. I see him in the Elah Valley facing Goliath. He does not hide from the challenge but instead rushes to do battle with the champion of the Philistines. Is this pride or humility?  As I stand on the ground that they once stood on I ask myself how does humility play it's self out in my life with boldness or timidity?

Both Saul and David were anointed to be king each were chosen by God. They had their victories but they also had their time of failure. I am reminded of the Scripture, "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) When confronted with the failure how did they each respond? Saul responded to Samuel by denying he had done anything wrong. When Nathan the prophet confronts David with his sin David responded with, "I have sinned against God." (2 Samuel 12:13) I have heard that true confession is to agree with God. I think perhaps this is also a picture of true humility.

Standing on the real land where these real people lived out their lives I ask myself the question, "What am I to do with the Scripture that says I too have been chosen, chosen before the foundation of the world?" Like Saul and David I have been chosen to be holy and blameless before him. Like them I face situations that make me want to run and hide. How shall I face the challenges of my life, with timidity or humble boldness? I too have failed,often. When confronted with my sin do I defend my self or like David simply say, "I have sinned against God."?

Lord Jesus, I am quick to stand in judgment of Saul and to see my life reflected in David's choices and yet the truth is I am often afraid and hide from the challenges You place before me. When I am confronted with my sin I am quick to explain that it is not really my fault and seek to place the quilt with someone else. As my mind travels back from where I have been and what I have seen in Israel let me life my today as one who has been chosen. Help me to be humble and bold and quick to repent. Show me how to sink my roots deep into Your promises as one who has been chosen to bring You glory. May both my identity and strength come from You.


No comments:

Post a Comment