Friday, June 15, 2012

Finding Balance in an Unbalanced World

Maybe I should have disqualified myself as soon as I heard the title. I was asked to speak at a church and when I asked what they wanted me to speak about they told me, "Finding Your Balance in a Unbalanced World." I accepted the challenge.

Where should I begin? The pressures of my own like made me feel like an animal of prey surrounded by predators. So I began by looking at my own unbalanced self and trying to find  someone in the Bible who matched how I felt. I found her, her name was Martha. I could see her coming into focus . Her house was filled with people and she was filled with frustration. So what did she do? She went and complained to Jesus.

Now, that doesn't really sound very spiritual and yet I think perhaps it is a starting place. Sometimes that's what my prayers look like. I go to God and pour out my confusion, my frustration, my complaint. I bring to Him the things I can't fix. Jesus was Martha's friend and because of that she felt safe to be real. It's the same with me because I believe I am loved and accepted I can let down my guard and expose my heart to the only one who can help.

Jesus meets me where I am. I don't learn balance in spite of my unbalanced world but in the midst of it. Jesus meets me where I am and invites me to come to Him and seek Him and open up to Him. It's in times of intense stress I recognize my intense need for a Savior.

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your invitation to come to You when I am weary and heavy laden with the stress of this world. You are the Prince of Peace and in You I find balance in an balanced world.

No comments:

Post a Comment