Saturday, June 2, 2012

Comfort Beneath a Terebinth Tree

It's funny how things will sometimes catch my attention the terebinth tree is one of those things. I kept seeing it referred to in Scripture and wondered what it was. To my knowledge it doesn't grow in North Georgia. One of the places I found it in Scripture was when Abraham showed hospitality to the angel of the Lord. Yesterday when we were at the Elah Valley our guide pointed one out and told us about it.

She told us about the extensive root system and that it could grow quite large. It was a very hot day and the Sun was beating down I was amazed at the comfort I found in the shade of that tree. As I stood there cooled by the shade of it's branches I understood why the terebinth tree would be known as a hospitality tree.

"Reach out and touch the branches and then touch it to your tongue." I did as she suggested and was surprised by the taste of salt. That taste of salt on my tongue reminded me of the taste of tears. I stood there sheltered from the scorching heat enjoying the hospitality of this ancient tree and remembering other times I have found comfort while also experiencing a taste of tears.

I have often found that those who have endured many hardships often have also developed an extensive root system. The hardships of life have caused them to go deep into the word of God to find comfort and strength. When they share the comfort they have found it is an oasis for my soul.

Lord Jesus, may life's difficulties cause me also to sink my roots deep into Your promises. When I have a taste of tears on my tongue remind me of the terebinth tree and change my sorrows into a place of welcome and comfort for my fellow pilgrims.


No comments:

Post a Comment