Sunday, June 24, 2012

"Remember and Do Not Forget"

The children must have found it when they were playing "library" upstairs with my book shelves. I found the two year old journal waiting for me this morning. I picked it up and began reading. I was amazed at how the memories I had written about came to life.

I began the habit of keeping a journal when I was nine years old.  I would begin my day by taking the essence of the day before and writing it down. I have heard that what you remember isn't as important as how you remember it. I think that how I choose to remember my days has been influenced by the fact that this practice of capturing the day that has just past is part of my quiet time with God. Sometimes I wake feeling like I've heard my name being called. I sit in silence enjoying the presences of God then I reflect on what happened the day before.

The Bible is full of Scriptures that tell us to remember what God has done. "Remember and do not forget," this is a admonition given several times in the book of Deuteronomy. "Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits..."(Psalm 103:2)  "I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago." (Psalm 77:11) "Remember His wonders which He has done, His marvels and the judgments he uttered..." (Psalm 105:5)

This past week a friend came by who had become a widow when her children were still very young. When her husband died she also lost her home and her income. It was a very frightful time in her life. She smiled, however, as she remembered how God had taken care of her. "I always get goose bumps when I remember how fully God has met my needs."  Her memories were not dominated by the difficulties she had encountered but by how she had encountered God in the midst of her difficulties.

Lord Jesus, the truth is sometimes my memories can be very dark but if I look for You, even in the darkest times I can find You. Help me as I reflect on my yesterdays to see Your hand of protection. Let the memories of Your faithfulness to me in the past become the courage in need to face the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment