Monday, December 3, 2012

He called me by name

Growing up in a big family I knew that if someone was looking at me they were probably talking to me even if they called me by the wrong name. I've experienced talking to people who weren't sure how to address me so they didn't use my name. But I also remember when Steve looked into my eyes and spoke the words before a church filled with people, "I Steve take you Sarah to be my wife." He called me by name.

I was reminded of this yesterday when we read the passage, "Fear not, for I redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine." (Isaiah 43:1) In my relationship with God I am more than just one of His creations. I am not simply lost in the sea of humanity  He called me by name.

I live on a cattle farm. When herding the cows shock sticks are used but when a shepherd is herding his sheep he calls them by name. When Jesus described the kind of shepherd He was He said, "The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them." (John 10:3) This is such a comfort He not only calls me by name but he also leads me.

Sometimes I feel lost. I'm not sure where I am much less where I'm supposed to be going. When I feel insecure and unsure of who I am or where I'm going I remind myself that my security rests in the fact that I have a good shepherd. A good shepherd who not only leads me but also gives me abundant life. I don't have to be afraid He doesn't just lead me He also calls me by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment