Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Cure For Drudgery

I've been decorating for Christmas. I do it partly for my grandchildren because when I put the angels on the mantle and string the lights on the porch it builds a since of anticipation. But I don't just do it for them I do it for myself as well. I can get locked into the drudgery of life and only see the day in day out work that is before me. Christmas reminds me that I'm part of a bigger story.

"I am Gabriel.  I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news." (Luke 1:19) This is part of the wonder of Christmas, this intersection of what happens in the presence of God and here on earth. Gabriel was sent from God's presents to tell Zechariah that the four hundred year of silence was over. What was the good news he brought? Zechariah's prayers had been heard and his wife was going to have a baby. This child would be filled with the spirit of Elijah and make ready for the Lord a people prepared.

Next Gabriel was sent from God presence to a city of Galilee named Nazareth. I have now been to Israel twice and both times the tour guide didn't think Nazareth was significant enough to stop the bus. It may not be significant enough to stop a tour bus but God choose Nazareth as the place where Gabriel would greet Mary with the news that she had been chosen to be overshadowed by the Most High by the Holy Spirit and that she would conceive a child.

The lights I have on my porch come on automatically. They remind me that Jesus was born at night. I can just imagine the shepherds keeping watch over their flock by night, trying to stay awake and maybe wishing they were home in bed. In this ordinary setting to these very ordinary people an angel of the Lord appeared and the glory of the Lord shown around them. Then came the message that the fullness of time had arrived, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord had been born! "And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!'"(Luke 2:13)

Father, I am filled with wonder at the message the angels brought on the first advent. But I am filled with anticipation with what the angel said at the Resurrection. "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus. who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11) It's been almost two thousand years since the angels said these words but that doesn't diminish my anticipation it increases it.

No comments:

Post a Comment