Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Deep Comfort of Christmas

The Sun has yet to rise this morning but because my house is dark the Christmas lights are even more beautiful. There has been so much sorrow in the news this week. In the quiet of this morning I have been comforting myself by reading the words to Christmas carols. Sometimes I find the deepest comfort embedded in the heart of the carols.

"All ye, beneath life's crushing load, whose forms are bending low, who toil along the climbing way with painful steps and slow. Look now! for glad and golden hours come swiftly on the wing: O rest beside the weary road, and hear the angels sing! For lo! the days are hastning on, by prophet barbs foretold  when with the ever circling years come round the age of gold; when peace shall over all the earth its ancient splendors fling, and the whole world give back the song which now the angels sing." This song reminds me of how my grandmother found deep comfort by reading the prophets. She marveled at the prophecies that were fulfilled at Jesus' birth and studied the prophecies that point to His second coming with anticipation like that of a young child who waits for Christmas morning.

"I heard the bells on Christmas day their old familiar carols play, and wild and sweet the words repeat of peace on earth, goodwill to men. I thought how, as the day had come the belfries of all Christendom had rolled along th'unbroken song of peace on earth, goodwill to men. And in despair I bowed my head; "There is no peace on earth," I said, "For hate is strong  and mocks the song of peace on earth, goodwill to men" Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: "God is not dead nor doth He sleep; The wrong shall fail, the right prevail  with peace on earth, goodwill to men." Till, ringing, singing on its way, the world revolved from night to day, a voice, a chime, a chant sublime, of peace on earth, goodwill to men!

"Comfort, comfort ye my people, speak peace, thus said our God; Comfort those who sit in darkness, mourning 'neath sorrows' load. Speak ye to Jerusalem of the peace that waits for them; tell her that her sins I cover, and her warfare now is over  Hark the voice of one that crieth in the desert far and near, biding all men to repentance since the kingdom now is here. O that warning cry obey! Now prepare for God a way; let the valley rise to meet him, and the hills bow down to greet him. Make ye straight what long was crooked, make the rougher places plain  let your hearts be true and humble, as befits his holy reign. For the glory of the Lord now o'er earth is shed abroad; and all flesh shall see the token that his word is never broken.

Father, your light penetrates my darkness and when your songs inter my heart and I find deep comfort as I sing. "O come, thou Day spring  come and cheer, Our spirits by thine advent here, Disperse the gloomy clouds of night, and death's dark shadows put to flight. Rejoice! Rejoice! Emanuel shall come to thee , O Israel!


No comments:

Post a Comment