Monday, December 17, 2012

"Be Ready For the Son of Man is Coming"

When I was a senior in high school I wrote a paper about all the prophecies Jesus fulfilled in His first coming. I can still remember the since of wonder I was filled with as I explored the scriptures in this way for the first time. It was as if I was discovering arrows of light that pointed to the truth.

One of the prophecies was that men would have eyes but they would not see and ears but they would not hear. I see this clearly when the wise men came to Jerusalem saying, "Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him."( Matthew 2:3) This was not done in secret Herod and all Jerusalem were troubled. This was not the first hint that the messiah had been born.

When Jesus was eight days old his parents had taken him to the temple to be dedicated. Simeon who had been waiting for the consolation of Israel when he saw Jesus proclaimed, "Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen you salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for the glory of your people Israel." (Luke 2:29-32) The Prophetess Anna had recognized who Jesus was and, "She began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem."(Luke 2:38) These things took place not in a remote place but in the temple at Jerusalem.

Now here they were a caravan of Gentiles following the light of a star just like Simeon had proclaimed in the temple! Herod assembled all the chief priests and scribes of the peoples, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. They told him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet: "'And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah; for from you shall come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.'"(Matthew 2:6) They knew what was written by the prophets.

There are prophecies yet to be fulfilled prophecies about Jesus' second coming. "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?" Matthew 24 is Jesus' response to his disciples question. Jesus told them,"But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son but the Father only. As were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."What were the days of Noah like? "The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence." (Genesis 6:11)

Lord Jesus, I do not want to be like those who missed Your first coming. You told Your disciples to, "Be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Help me to understand the times in which I live. Help me to have eyes that sees and a heart that understands. Grant that I might be like Simeon and Anna and live my life with a since of anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment