Wednesday, December 26, 2012

You Don't Have to Be in Control

The world had become to big for him. He was hiding in my closet. He looked so vulnerable, so scared and small. Quietly I joined him. I didn't come to lecture, I didn't come with answers, I came to listen. I held him as he poured out his fears, his anger, his tears. We sat together in the darkness. I have learned you don't have to have all the answers if you've found a resting place in the one who does.

I looked into the eyes of my beautiful friend and saw a cloud of sorrow there. I listened as she told me about her disappointment. When she opened the door to her heart and began telling me about her broken dreams the tears began to flow. "It's alright to be vulnerable," I said, "You don't have to be in control. You are safe. You are not alone."

It was long ago when the lie was told and then believed. "You can be like God knowing good and evil." Innocents died and naked vulnerability was clothed with the harsh lie of control. In the cool of the evening God came to garden to invite the created to enter into sweet fellowship with the Creator but they were hiding and fellowship was broken. Death had come when the lie was believed. Now there would be pain and thorns and thistles to control. But all was not lost there was also the promise of a Redeemer.

The one who came to set us free was born as a vulnerable infant. There was no power of wealth associated with the parents he chose. When he was born there were whispers of shame that some associated with his birth. He entered into history at a time when there was oppression and bondage. He tasted our tears, carried our grief and bore our sorrows. He came to the thorn infested garden to show us a way to be free from the bondage of the lie that we were in control.

Jesus, thank You for coming. Thank You for entering into our weakness so that we could enter into Your strength.

2 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, Sarah. Thank you for these wise true words. Not being in control is only good news because of the character of the one who IS in control. May we keep releasing our fists to Him . .. !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, I remember your using that phrase when I met you. We can only enter His rest with a humble heart and an unclenched fist.

      Delete