Friday, December 28, 2012

Letting Go of the Rope


"I am totally at the end of my rope." When I read these words that my friend had written me I wanted to whisper in response, “Then let go of the rope." 

We live in a broken world. In fact "The whole world is under the control of the evil one." (1 John 5:19) We live in a broken world under the control of the evil one and Jesus told us, "In this world you will have tribulation." The word tribulation comes from the Greek word thlipsis . When I researched the word in "HELPS Word-Studies"[www.helpsbible.com] I found it meant pressure (what constricts or rubs together), used of a narrow place that "hems someone in;" tribulation, especially internal pressure that causes someone to feel confined (restricted, “without option"). This Greek word carries the challenge of coping with the internal pressure of a tribulation, especially when feeling there is "no way of escape." But Jesus didn't simply tell us that we would have tribulation in this world. He said, "But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

I understand this desperate feeling of clinging to the end of the rope when the world is pressing in and crying out, "I'm trying as hard as I can!" This is when I hear my Savior whisper, "Let go of the rope." Letting go of my striving I find myself plunged into His grace. As I let go of my desperate hold on the rope I cry out, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20) In the process of letting go of the rope and taking hold of the promise I find peace.

Sometimes when I am feeling hemmed in by the pressures of life I forget the truth. I forget that I have been invited to rest in the love of God not because of what I have done for Him but because of what He has done for me. The place I find victory is not in striving but in trusting. When I walk in the truth of His love for me then I am sure of what I hope for and confident about what I don't see.

Lord Jesus, thank You for inviting me into that place of perfect peace. Thank You that I can let go of the rope and find myself safe in Your arms. Please help me share this truth with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment