Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's More Than Behavioral Modificaiton

I decided to do some Bible memorization with my grandchildren so I started with a basic question, "Do you know what love is?" My ten year grandson was quick to reply, "Love is not rude, or at least that's what you're always telling me." That's when I realized I'd been trying to use the Scripture for behavioral modification.

"Instead of talking about what love isn't, let's start with what love is. Love is patient and kind." This time I didn't want to just be using the Scripture for behavioral modification so I also added this verse to be memorized, "God is love." (1 John 4:8) We were sitting in the car waiting for the morning bus to come take them to school and I asked them, "How is God patient and kind?" Sitting  in the car talking with my grandchildren about the patience and kindness of God was a good way to start the day.

I told the children that I was going to be thinking about what it meant to be patient and kind and that I would be praying and asking God to help me be like Him. I asked if they would like to join me in this and they both said, "Yes." I struggled all day! I was in constant prayer because having this Scripture in my mind made my self-centered impatience and lack of kindness became very obvious to me. I thought to myself, "Perhaps this is what it means to take up your cross and follow Christ." What made me impatient and unkind? It was when I was decentered. But isn't that what love is removing myself from the center and caring about someone else more than I do myself?

When they got home I told my grandchildren about how hard it had been for me to be patient and kind. I told them I couldn't do it on my own that I had to pray all day and ask God to help me and I asked Him to change my heart. Then I told them the story I had heard the day before.

In the far off land of Yugoslavia a man named Jacob had gone into a village to tell the people about Jesus. He knocked on the door of an old man. The old man told him to go away he wanted nothing to do with this "Jesus." He told Jacob that there had other people who talked about Jesus. They were cruel and greedy. They cared nothing for the poor and sick of the village.

Jacob responded by saying to the old man, "If someone stole your coat and then robbed a bank would you be guilty of robbing the bank?" "Of course not!" said the old man. "But you are doing this with Jesus," Jacob said, "You are accusing Him of the unkindness done by those who have taken His coat." The old man slammed to door.

Jacob did not leave the village. He stayed and was patient and kind to the old man. One day Jacob again knocked on the old man's door this time the door opened. "Jacob, I want to receive Jesus." After they had prayed Jacob asked the old man why he had changed his mind. The old man responded, "Jacob, it is because you have worn His coat well."

Lord Jesus, Your word teaches me that love is patient and love is kind. It also teaches me that God is love. I know the only way for me to be loving and kind is to deny myself take up my cross and follow You. This Lord is what I want to do. I want to wear Your coat well so that by my patience and kindness I will represent you well. I want this not only in relationship to my grandchildren but with all I come in contact with. Please help me Lord!

1 comment: